Music Therapy Internship
Dynamic Music Services, INC. (DMS) opened in 2014 to provide quality music therapy services to individuals and businesses. DMS provides services to clients in Indianapolis and surrounding areas. We are an approved Medicaid Waiver Provider for the Family Supports Waiver (FSW) and Community Integration Habilitation (CIH) Waiver. In addition, we provide services through business-to-business partnerships, primarily nursing homes, hospice, and ABA facilities.
A variety of individuals of all ages and abilities, primarily autism, intellectual & developmental disabilities, Alzheimer’s & dementia, and neurological disorders, such as traumatic brain injury and stroke.
The internship will primarily comprise of individual sessions with opportunities provided for group sessions within a 40-hour work week. A DMS music therapist will be present on site during each session led by the intern. In addition to sessions, the intern will be responsible for session planning, session notes, quarterly/annual paperwork, a case study on a client of interest, and a legacy project of their choosing. DMS prides itself on its focus of self-care and involvement in advocacy.
In addition to daily responsibilities, interns will have opportunities to gain knowledge and practice in:
- Developing self-care routines
- All levels of a music therapy organization
- Advocating opportunities
- Interdisciplinary team meetings
- Community presentations
- Community observation opportunities
Our internship application materials are due six months prior to the intern’s preferred start date.
For a January start date – materials due July 1st
For a April start date – materials due October 1st
For a July start date – materials due January 1st
For a October start date – materials due April 1st
To apply, keep scrolling!
Apply for the internship!
All steps must be submitted to be considered for the internship.
Send the materials below via mail or email to:
7502 Madison Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46227
- Resume, including clinical experiences in music therapy
- At least 3 references: personal or professional (not related to the applicant)
- Formal copy of your transcripts
- Two letters of recommendations sent to Rebecca Winebarger: one from director of music therapy that must include letter of verification
2. Writing Component
- A sample of research writing (an assignment you submitted in school will suffice)
- Sample of clinical writing (please make it HIPAA compliant). Can include assessment, treatment plan, progress note, etc.
3. Music Component – will take place during interview component
- Guitar: Two songs with different styles to show different strum patterns or ways of playing the guitar. You can use finger plucking, strumming, or any style needed.
- Two (2) more songs of different styles on your choice of melodic instrument. Choices may include, but not limited to, piano, Q-chord, Autoharp, etc. **Must sing and play the instruments and demonstrate the ability to accompany self.
- I-IV-V transposition in first position keys- A, (C), D, E, G. You choose the initial key, and song, and we will choose the transposition key. Any song using these 3 keys will work- Song Examples: You Are My Sunshine, When the Saints Go Marching In, My Bonnie, etc.
4. Interview Component
- Meet with Rebecca Winebarger and another supervising therapist for interview questions.
- Bring your questions, too!